Level III – Expert Backcountry Skiing/Riding
At this level, we ask that our guests be true, expert type powder skiers and snowboarders. We will have fast paced descents on a variety of terrain including: glades, steeps, wide and tight spaced trees and rocky, variable aspects. Our Level III guests actively seek out the most advanced terrain and deepest powder at any ski area and have no problem with blue, black or double-black runs. Many of our guests in this level have been on other heli or snowcat operations in the past and/or are active backcountry enthusiasts.
We need our skiers and snowboarders at Level III to:
- have significant and extensive powder experience
- are comfortable on any terrain, in any condition and at any speed
- love to fly through tight tree runs
- ski and ride double black runs with style, all day long
- can handle any snow conditions – super deep and super light snow to crusty, nasty, windblown hell
- are not challenged by rocky terrain, especially rock within trees, but you don’t have to launch the rocks, but must be able to stop abruptly above rock and navigate around them
- needs to be able to follow guides instructions in avalanche terrain
If you have ever skied the Steamboat Ski Area, then our Level III terrain is similar to the St. Patrick’s Day and Christmas Tree Bowls, the Gates and Chutes and the Fish Creek Canyon. Fortunately for us and you, our terrain has longer pitches and a lot less people accessing the goods.
Like the Steamboat Ski Area, our Level III terrain isn’t the steepest terrain out there. It’s not Jackson Hole or Silverton Mountain, but its a ton of fun for expert type skiers and riders.
We only run one Level III trip per day. Due to this, our Level III cat gets full very quickly. Check out our calendar to see for yourself. There are times where our Level II tours get into the Level III terrain in the afternoon during the tour so if you as a Level III guest don’t see availability during your visit to Steamboat Springs, ask us about this option.
Please remember that should a guest arrive who greatly overstates their ability level, we reserve the right to sit them on certain runs. Please, if you are booking a trip for yourself or for others, you understand this and have fully taken this into consideration. No refunds will be given to these guests. When booking a Level II or III group, make sure that everyone in the group is capable of skiing at that level. We hate to sit our guests so please be conservative when making your decision regarding ability levels.