To some, backcountry ski guiding is more than just a job. It’s a passion, a lifestyle, a dream and a reality all in one. The opportunity to work in the mountains, searching out fresh lines in a safe but exciting manner, to create life changing experiences on a daily basis, is a gift that we at Steamboat Powdercats do not take for granted.
Steamboat Powdercats is hiring a ski guide for the 2018/2019 ski season. This is a full time, seasonal position running from December 1, 2018 to April 1, 2019.
Steamboat Powdercats Guides are responsible for leading groups of up to 12 skiers/riders in the winter backcountry. This includes pre and post-trip logistics, guest service, avalanche awareness and forecasting and emergency medical response, as well as snowmobile and snowcat operations.
Steamboat Powdercats prides itself on exceptional customer service. Guides must have the ability to interact at any time with guests of all sorts. They must be able to entertain and educate. Similarly, Guides must be able to interact with other employees in a pleasant manner and maintain good working relationships with the entire SPC crew.
● Must be at least 21 years of age
● Must be an expert skier, able to ski in varied terrain and snow conditions
● Must have current WFR and CPR for healthcare providers
● Must have Pro I or Level II avalanche education
● 2 years of operational guiding/outdoor leadership experience
● Clean driving record
Skills & Knowledge
● Operational guiding/leadership skills
● Strong social and customer service skills
● Excellent fitness and winter backcountry travel skills
● Basic computing skills (web apps, microsoft office, etc.)
● Use of two-way radios, rescue equipment (i.e. snowmobiles, transceivers, toboggans, etc.), and medical equipment (i.e.splints, backboards, vacuum mattress, etc.)
● Snowmobile and snowcat operations (desired)
● Search and rescue or ski patrol experience
● Ski instructor or other outdoor education experience
● AAA or AIARE instructor
● Regularly scheduled work shifts require being on-call and working weekends, holidays, and some evenings
● Work days are typically 11-12 hours
● Normal work week is 5-6 days
● Work is outdoors and requires constant exposure to cold and other extreme weather conditions
Interested applicants can send resume and cover letter to Eric Deering (email@example.com).
Steamboat Powdercats is an Equal Opportunity Employer.